In ancient times, Gurukul were places where students learnt sports alongside academic studies. Since then, sports have played a significant role in a child’s education system and learning process. No wonder, the present education system in boarding schools like International Residential Schools in India, is highly influenced by the conventional “Gurukul Shiksha Paddhati” -a system of mentoring.
Sports & children-Sports, being instrumental in a child’s holistic growth, develop positive traits, and values thereby helping to create habits and health benefits that last into adulthood. Sports in International Residential Schools in India help children to develop physical skills, get exercise, make friends, and enhance self-esteem. Moreover, it brings up healthy competition aiding children to develop good sportsmanship and having a long-lasting impact till adulthood.
Values imbibed by participating in sports activities for children in International Residential Schools in India:
- Holistic development of child’s character through fair play, character and moral principles. Active sports participants in International Residential Schools in India can turn out to be good role models for classmates, neighbours, and the school chorus, motivating them to indulge in sports activities. Playing sports makes children healthier physically and mentally, preparing them to face any challenges or hardships.
- Creates lifelong friendships, ushering in togetherness irrespective of their social status, financial condition, or place of origin.
- Encourages teamwork amongst students to work together for promoting social interaction in future.
- Fosters competitive learning amongst children creating a competitive edge and opening up opportunities for improvisations effective for future growth and development.
- Aids in coping with stress in children, notably with homework and peer pressure, resulting in behavioural changes and loss of focus. Children of International Residential Schools participating in sports activities perform better in academics also.
Points to note for parents while selecting appropriate sports for children:
- Children of International Residential Schools in India are prepared both physically and mentally to indulge in sports like football, basketball, hockey, and volleyball.
- Growth spurts leading to positive coordination & balance.
- A child has the right technique and movement for sports to avoid injuries.
- Children’s age, maturity level, and size have to be taken into consideration before letting them participate in sports.
- Let children of International Residential Schools in India explore other options.
- Let children be physically active by biking, hiking, and jumping rope.
- Teach child fitness benefits.
- Not to impose unrealistic expectations and unachievable goals from start.
- Provide emotional support & positive feedback by attending games.
- Teach children of International Residential Schools in India to tackle disappointments about failure by praising efforts to compete and improve athletic skills.
- Let the child explore options other than sports.
- Results, achievements, medals, and awards, come later through hard work, discipline, and sacrifice.
Leading sports International Residential Schools in India:
- RiverDale International School, Pune, Mumbai
- ODM Global School, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- The Asian School, Dehradun
- JAIN International Residential School, Bangalore
- MODY SCHOOL, Rajasthan
- Springfield World School, Vidisha, Madhya Pradesh
International Residential Schools in India offer the following sports facilities:
- Football field
- Cricket field
- Swimming pool
- Outdoor & indoor sports facilities
- Trained coaches & world-class sports teachers
- Basketball courts
Famous personalities who underwent education in International Boarding Schools in India:
- K L Rahul (Indian national cricket team)
- Abhinav Bindra (2008 Olympic gold medallist, Shooting)
- Pankaj Advani (Indian billiards & snooker player)
- Robin Uthappa (Indian national cricket team)
RiverDale, one of the leading International Residential Schools in India, is located in the picturesque hills of Mulshi in heart of Pune, India. The school maintains an environment conducive to the holistic well-being of students with no day scholars or weekly boarders and excels in providing 24X7 personal care and supervision of young minds. Spread over 50 acres of lush greenery, RiverDale International School strives to nurture learning and competence amongst students opting for ICSC and ISC curricula under the mentorship of the principal.